Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, January 11, 2013

A Spirituality of Planes and Jets Crossing the Wilderness Sky


Many people complain when they hear airplanes or jets cross the sky while out exploring the Great Outdoors. But I've come to appreciate these occurrences, and have discovered that they can actually enhance my perception of the spiritual quality of the landscape.  Accordingly, whenever I hear the low, descending tones of a plane moving toward the horizon, I imagine a cosmic sort of "sigh," a moment of bliss shared between myself and the Great Mystery.  Similarly, when I listen to a jet crossing the sky, I find my sense of distance and far horizons amplified, as though the jet trail is a finger pointing toward the Great Beyond, the loving Presence who dwells eternally on the endless horizon of Being.

Photo: Alpenglow on Long's Peak above Mill's Lake; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; January 4, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment