Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Importance of Mutual Mirroring



Human identity is innately relational. It is not merely that we NEED relationship; rather, our selfhood IS ITSELF relationship. A large part of this truth manifests itself in the mutual MIRRORING that occurs whenever we open ourselves to the sacred dimensions of relationship
.
Oftentimes when family members - especially our children - find a mate and pursue their own life calling, we begin to wonder if the mirroring capacity we experienced earlier will still continue to exist between us. We worry that if it dissipates, the relationship correspondingly will begin to suffer.

Today I had coffee with my oldest daughter, Crystal.  It was wonderful for both of us to discover that we STILL EXPERIENCE the mutual mirroring. She needs me to mirror back to her the wisdom of her decision - carried out years ago - to pursue a college major in art. Unfortunately, several years back during a period of stress, I had foolishly apologized for teaching both she and her sister to "follow your bliss." However, her career focus in art, coupled with graphic design, has enabled her and her boyfriend to do amazing things with their gymnastics business. Yet she was understandably relieved when I apologized for the erroneous statement, and when I made it clear that I am continuing my earlier pattern of mirroring the goodness and rightness of her decision.




Similarly, I needed to have Crystal mirror back to me the value of my continued calling to serve as a spiritual teacher and mentor in her life. I realized this fact when she told me that she STILL NEEDS me to help her stay in touch with her spirituality, especially since her current work schedule - like that of most Americans - often leaves little time for spiritual nurturing. Accordingly, I found it consoling to see that Crystal still values and needs my spiritual counsel.

This kind of mutual mirroring doesn't always continue between family members in the long term, but I am grateful to see that both of us still value and are committed to it!




Photos: (Top and Bottom) Sunset on Bellvue Dome reflected in the ice of the Poudre River; (Middle) Canada Geese on Watson Lake. All three photos were taken near Bellvue, CO on January 6, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment