Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Reflections on the Ilusion and Necessity of the Personality Cult



All my life, I've lived by the notion once expressed by Eleanor Roosevelt: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." However, over the past six months or so, I've come to a stunning awareness: most people are only interested in "ideas" insofar as they are embodied in concrete PEOPLE. I've avoided the "cult of personality" for forty years, but now I find myself smack dab in the middle of it. To be honest, when I go out to speak, people often seem just as interested in the passion and personal style I use to express my insights as the insights themselves. Who would ever have guessed? And now I find myself in the curious position of being advised to focus on marketing "myself" - my passion and my personality (as an earthy contemplative or "worldly monk") rather than on the insights themselves. How do I reconcile these two opposing viewpoints?



My trip to Chaco Canyon several weeks ago has provided one possible solution. As I spent the weekend visiting the remains of ancient pueblos and examining some fossil shells and pottery pieces that appeared along the trail, I realized that my own life - when looked at from the perspective of the 4.5 billion-year history of the Earth - is really more like an ECHO of a bygone era than a substantial and lasting reality.




This means that when I'm forced to market myself and my persona (rather than simply my insights, which I like to think have more universal value) as a means of making a living, I can only do so by PRETENDING my personal style is something lasting and substantial. In other words, it's a sort of "game" I - and all of us - are being asked to play. How crazy! There really does seem to be a Trickster Spirit at work here! However, since this need for role-playing seems to be the case, I find that solitary times of retreat are needed in my life - especially now - to help me see through the relative unreality of the personal social role in order to identify with a vast and spacious cosmic perspective that goes far beyond my own short life and persona! For it is THIS vastness - beyond social role-playing - that is, I'm still convinced, the TRUE self  :)



Photos: Evening-Primroses, Anasazi dwellings, fossil shells and pottery shards, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, NM, May 23, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment