Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Flirtatious Mount Rainier


                                               “Nature is wont to hide herself"  (Heraclitus)

            
                                               "Today the mountain,
playful and not omniscient, thinks itself
concealed among attendant clouds . . .
But you are no more hidden
by complacent cumulus
than Venus by a mask
of black Venetian velvet”

(Denise Levertov, "Masquerade," on Mt. Rainier)
                                                
                                               
                                                Seeking to cover my breasts with my hands,
            I could not, - Just as the snow may not
            conceal the southern hills.

            (Vidyapati, on the Goddess Radha, 
            15th century India)


Photo: Mount Rainier flirting with the camera, Mt. Rainier National Park, WA, August 4, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment