Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Deep Silence and Peace are the Meaning of the Word Born on Christmas Eve


"Surely the Word which is God can only be seen with joy.  Truly it is a trustworthy word and deserving of every welcome, your almighty Word, Lord, which in such deep silence made its way down from the Father's royal throne into the mangers of animals and meanwhile speaks to us better by its silence.  Let him who has ears, hear - hear what this loving and mysterious silence of the eternal Word speaks to us.  For . . . he speaks peace for the holy people who observe a spiritual silence . . . I would gladly be silent even from good things, that I might be able the more attentively and diligently to apply my ear to the secret utterances and sacred meaning of this divine silence."

Guerric of Igny, 12th century Cistercian monk

Photo: Looking into the Maze at Canyonlands National Park, UT, November 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment