Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Alpenglow is the most impressive of all the terrestrial manifestations of God!


"Alpenglow is the most impressive of all the terrestrial manifestations of God and suggests the spiritual Love-light in which the flesh-walls of earthy tabernacles are dissolved and everything puts on immortality."

The Contemplative John Muir, p. 161

Photo: Alpenglow flushes Mt. Owen and Grand Teton with ruddy light; Grand Teton National Park, WY, July 5, 2012.  I took this photo just outside my tent, at my backpacker's camp on the North Fork of the Cascade River.  The entire day had been overcast, and I was beginning to think I would not be able to see any sunset alpenglow display like I had the night before.  As I crawled into my tent about 8:30 P.M., the entire landscape was covered in fog. However, When I opened up the tent door a half-hour later, I saw that these peaks were suddenly peeking above the fog, glowing in red!  I rushed outside, climbed the granite outcrop next to my tent, and enjoyed the show!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, we are savoring the fruits of your recent trip to the Tetons. Their majesty is ever-inspiring, and you've captured it masterfully.

    ReplyDelete