Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, July 1, 2013

In the presence of a beautiful landscape, the experience of vibrant joy swirls together human and non-human realms.


It's an amazing experience to hike up to treeline and suddenly come upon marshy meadows filled with vast mats of vibrant color. To me, these swaths of pink feel like communities of supremely sentient beings populating every nook and cranny with with their joy-filled blooms. John Muir called them "plant people," and their exuberant color definitely reveals the human aspect of their being.

I've discovered that when I unite myself with a beautiful landscape, the personal and non-personal aspects of life begin to interpenetrate and exchange places. Thus, the hiker transcends ego in taking on the non-personal, billion-year-old aspect of the landscape, and the plants and rocks become communicative in taking on the personal dimension of the hiker.

Here, the experience of joy - felt emotionally as an altered state of consciousness in the hiker, and embodied physically in the vast swaths of color - begins to SWIRL together the seemingly opposite realms of human and non-human, like a Sufi whirling dervish who dances as a means of experiencing the union of humanity and divinity.

Photo: Alpine Bog Laurel, Snowy Range, WY; June 29, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment