Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Living as a "Worldly Monk"



For the past three decades, I have striven to live my life as a Worldly Monk. "Worldly" in the sense of dwelling in the everyday world (rather than cloistered) with a family, and in the sense of striving to transform and integrate the "worldly" emotions of sexuality, anger, and other human energies, all in the context of the busy atmosphere of society. Silence, solitude, meditation, time spent in Nature, a simple lifestyle, teaching and service have been a major focus of this life. While definitely not easy, this life has led me down a path toward union with the Divine - in both its transcendent and immanent, God and Goddess aspects - that I hope will continue endlessly into the future . . .




Photos: (Top) Monkshood (Aconitum); (Middle) Journaling at my backcountry campsite; (Bottom) Spirea, with The Grand Teton in the background; All three photos were taken in Grand Teton National Park, WY on July 5-6, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment