Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, November 2, 2012

A person's character lies as broad and unexplored as a scraggy hillside or pasture.


"We falsely attribute to people a determined character; putting together all their yesterdays and averaging them, we presume to know them.  Pity the person who has a character to support.  It is worse than a large family! . . . But in fact character is NEVER EXPLORED, nor does it get developed in time, but eternity is its development . . . I approach a great [human] nature with infinite expectation and uncertainty, not knowing what I may meet.  It lies as broad and unexplored before me as a scraggy hillside or pasture.  I may hear a fox bark, or a partridge drum, or some bird new to these localities may fly up."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo:   A hill side of Wild Plum (red) and Three-leaved Sumac (orange) in Lory State Park, CO; October 15, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment