Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The more thrilling, wonderful divine objects I behold in a day, the more expanded and immortal I become.


"It would imply the regeneration of mankind, if they were to become elevated enough to truly worship stocks and stones . . . If he who makes two blades of grass grow where one grew before is a benefactor, he who discovers two gods where there was only known the one (and such a one!) before is a still greater benefactor.  I would gladly improve every opportunity to wonder and worship, as a sunflower welcomes the light.  The more thrilling, wonderful divine objects I behold in a day, the more expanded and immortal I become.  If a stone appeals to me and elevates me, . . . it is a matter of private rejoicing.  If it did the same service to all, it might well be a matter of public rejoicing."

Henry David Thoreau, 1856

Photo: Engelmann Spruce tree and lichen-covered rocks at Vedauwoo Recreation Area, Medicine Bow National Forest, WY; November 3, 2012.  Thoreau, like his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson, would not disagree that all of these various "gods" or deities are expressions of a single divine Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment