Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The spiritual wisdom of the ancestors still inhabits the canyon country of the desert Southwest.


One of the reasons why I return again and again to the redrock desert of Utah for my four-day spiritual retreat is because I feel I am somehow supported by the wisdom and spirituality of the peoples who lived in that region millennia ago.  One can often find their rock art scattered throughout the area during hikes and exploratory drives.  Especially engaging are the pictographs painted in red iron hematite on canyon walls by the Archaic Barrier Canyon peoples, who lived and raised crops in the area at least as early as 2000 B.C.E., and perhaps as early as 5000 B.C.E. Many give the appearance of "aliens" - anthropomorph bodies with insect-like heads, often with large, bulging eyes, perhaps symbolic of a shaman having a vision. Indeed, some Native Americans say that human beings did not paint these panels!

Many first-time visitors to the redrock canyon country of the Southwest feel that their everyday mind is somehow "messed-with" by spiritual presences who inhabit the land.  For me, a frequent occurrence is to hear a fly buzzing while hiking alone in some remote canyon, yet thinking I hear human voices instead.  On our family's very first camping trip to this area, one of my daughters - who has a gift for sensing spiritual presences - felt inexplicably scared because of the things she was able to perceive.  Today, as an adult, she appreciates the sense that the ancestors still dwell in the landscape, but as a little girl, it was a bit overwhelming.

I often think it would be interesting to create a book of short interviews in which canyon country visitors could share their experiences of desert spirituality in this amazing region!

Photo: Sego Canyon Pictographs, Thompson Springs, UT; November 23, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment