Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

God calls us into the desert, into the solitude of His own heart.


"God is using everything that happens to lead me into solitude . . . Everything I touch cauterizes me with a light and healing burn.  I can hold on to nothing . . . Today I seemed to be very much assured that this solitude is indeed God's will for me, and that it is truly He Who is calling me into the desert.  Not necessarily a geographical one, but the solitude of His own heart in Which all created joys and light and satisfactions are annihilated and consumed."

Thomas Merton, 1947

Photo: The Joint Trail, Needles District, Canyonlands National Park, UT; November 25, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment