Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Less-than-ideal conditions spur us to find beauty in other ways.


"The lighting is bad right now" I heard several photographers grumble as I stood at the famous overlook, engulfed in forest fire haze.  "Oh, really?"  I thought to myself as I snapped this shot.  Perhaps that would be true if a person wanted to capture the very same view that MILLIONS of other people have shot.  But I found other possibilities present, ones that would not have occurred had the lighting been "right."  In this particular shot, I marveled at the way the setting sun backlit the rock in the foreground, making it almost fluoresce a deep yellow.  To me, that one section of glowing rock, with the eccentric trees and the Falls hovering mystically in the background, revealed more of the spirit of Yellowstone than a million "perfect" postcard shots.

Photo: Lodgepole Pine, snag, the Lower Falls, and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone from Artist Point; Yellowstone National Park, WY; September 1, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment