Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Nature is a flood, and we are all in it.


"Nature is a flood, and we are all in it."

John Muir

Photo: I took this shot from a bridge over the Poudre River, about a mile from my house at the edge of Fort Collins, Colorado, on September 13, 2013.  On the left is someone's backyard; the remainder of the photo shows a flooded Poudre River Trail.  The floods of last week have been devastating!  About 19,000 homes have been flooded or destroyed, and 600 people are still unaccounted for.  One of the hardest-hit areas is Big Thompson Canyon, our main route up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.  There, 17 miles of road have been damaged or destroyed, and many homes have been flooded.  In fact, both major routes to Estes Park are currently impassible, leaving that mountain community isolated during one of their busiest times of year.  Please keep the victims and survivors of the flood in your thoughts and prayers.








No comments:

Post a Comment