Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Fascination of Burns


I just can't keep away from the areas where we had forest fires this past summer.  Without their needles the trees reveal a sculpture-like quality that I find endlessly fascinating.  And just as the fires have stripped the land to its bare essentials, so I feel myself stripped of the hectic mindset that life in society has implanted in me. In a burn, all of the minerals tied up in the duff lying on the forest floor have been released.  I feel such a sense of anticipation and hope, knowing that this Spring, these burns will be especially green!

Photo: Tree skeletons in the Hewlett Burn, Poudre Canyon, CO; January 26, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment