Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Let us work out in the rain, sun, mud, clay and wind; for these are our spiritual directors and our novice-masters.


"How necessary it is for contemplatives to work in the fields, in the rain, in the sun, in the mud, in the clay, in the wind: these are our spiritual directors and our novice-masters.  They form our contemplation.  They instill us with virtue.  They make us as stable as the land we live in."

Thomas Merton

Photo: Crystal at Reservoir Ridge Natural Area, CO, February 25, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment