Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, April 13, 2015

My everyday business is to extract nectar from the flower of the world.



"The scenery, when it is truly seen, reacts on the life of the seer. How to live. How to get the most life. How to extract its honey from the flower of the world. That is my every-day business. I am as busy as a bee about it. I ramble over all fields on that errand, and am never so happy as when I feel myself heavy with honey and wax. I am like a bee searching the livelong day for the sweets of nature. Do I not impregnate and intermix the flowers, produce rare and finer varieties by transferring my eyes from one to another? I do as naturally and as joyfully, with my own humming music, seek honey all the day. With what honeyed thought any experience yields me I take a bee line to my cell."

Henry David Thoreau




Photos: (Top) A bee seems euphoric in a Sagebrush Buttercup, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, April 11, 2015; (Middle) Wild Plum blossoms, with red cliffs beyond, Lory State Park, CO, April 12, 2015; (Bottom) Wild Plum blossoms, with Horsetooth Rock on the horizon, Horsetooth Reservoir, CO, April 12, 2015. The Wild Plum blossoms were intoxicatingly fragrant, and there were a multitude of bees enjoying them!


No comments:

Post a Comment