Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The redrock desert of southern Utah teaches me over and over again: red endures.


"The redrock desert of southern Utah teaches me over and over again: red endures, . . . a passion for the bloodroot country of my burning soul . . . Where we live [near Moab], red is endemic, finding its way into every opening, large or small, seeping into each pore of the skin, staining fingers and toes . . . At night, red dirt colors our dreams as we rub our eyes, scratch our eyes, sneeze, cough, as each red particle of sand works its way into the nucleus of every living, breathing, multiplying cell."

Terry Tempest Williams




Photos: (Top) Sunset at Arches National Park, UT; (Middle) Claret Cup Cactus, Corona Arch Trail, near Moab, UT; (Bottom) North Window at sunrise. All three photos were taken on April 18-20, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment