Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Spiritual Symbolism of the Phallus







"I wonder what walls we have constructed to keep our true erotic nature tamed. And I am curious why we continue to distance ourselves from natural sources. What are we afraid of? . . . We need a context for eros, not a pedestal, not a video screen. The lightning we witness crack and charge a night sky in the desert is the same electricity we feel in ourselves whenever we dare to touch flesh, rock, body, Earth."

Terry Tempest Williams

For me, the phallus represents the capacity of the masculine Great Mystery - God, the Ultimate Transcendent, Father Sky - to lovingly penetrate through the surface of each and every creature and event in order to find the Sacred Feminine - the Goddess, Mother Earth, Sophia, Gaia - present at its core, in all of her grandeur and beauty.




Photos: "The Phallus," with Desert Paintbrush and Dwarf Evening-Primrose, Arches National Park, UT, April 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment