Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Life is an Overflowing Reality.


Fields of wildflowers are not meant to be viewed merely as a "pretty" distraction and then passed over in the quest for "more important" things.  Rather, they are embodiments of the metaphysical fact that life itself is an overflowing reality. When the poet Rilke exclaimed of a rose that "you are a hundred times yourself in just one flower," he could just as easily substituted the word "life."  For in its overflowing, superabundant reality, all of life is utterly mysterious.

Photo: Snowlilies blooming next to my backcountry campsite, with Mt. Owen and the Grand Teton in the background.  Cascade Canyon North, Grand Teton National Park, WY; July 8, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment