Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We faithfully watch and await the reappearance of everything that melts and fades and dies about us, feeling sure that its next appearance will be better and more beautiful than the last.



"We learn that no particle of her material is wasted or worn out.  It is eternally flowing from use to use, beauty to yet higher beauty; and we soon cease to lament waste and death, and rather rejoice and exult in the imperishable, unspendable wealth of the universe, and faithfully watch and await the reappearance of everything that melts and fades and dies about us, feeling sure that its next appearance will be better and more beautiful than the last."

The Contemplative John Muir, p. 298

Photo: High Park Fire, Rist Canyon, CO; July 2, 2012.  It wasn't until after I'd been shooting the green leaves appearing out of the ashes for ten minutes or so that I suddenly noticed the fire-roasted grasshopper present within the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment