Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, July 2, 2012

The true self is beyond words and concepts because it is utterly particular.


"My knowledge of myself in silence (not by reflection on my self, but by penetration to the mystery of my true self which is beyond words and concepts because it is utterly particular) opens out into the silence and the 'subjectivity' of God's own self."

Thomas Merton

Colorado Columbine and the east face of Long's Peak (14, 259 feet) at Chasm Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; June 29, 2012.  This photo was quite difficult to get.  I went searching far and wide among the boulders above the lake until I finally found this one columbine plant - the only one growing at the lake.  However, the flower was turned away from me, so I had to twist the stem and temporarily anchor it in that position with a rock.  The east face here is a bit hazy because of smoke from the Waldo Canyon Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment