Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

We are meant to draw our spiritual sustenance from the world around us.


Sometimes I find it strange that we human beings - when in our religious mode - focus on teachers and human embodiments of the Divine who received their revelations from God thousands of years ago, even though the Great Mystery and Mother Earth want so much to bring us fresh revelation in THIS very moment.  Wouldn't we treat the people and the landscapes we meet on a daily basis with more reverence if we learned to see THEM as profound sources of revelation?  For example, on this misty day at Bierstadt Lake, I sensed that the expanse of frozen, snow-covered lake was an embodiment of my participation in the vast awareness of the Great Mystery.  The ripples on the lake surface mirrored my thoughts and sensations arising each moment out of that vast awareness - a kind of divine creation, happening NOW.  The grasses represented individual beings emerging out of that vast lake of love like echoes of a Divine love-word arising seemingly out of nowhere.

Photo: Snow-covered Bierstadt Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; February 23, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment