Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It is not enough to be industrious. What are you industrious about?


"It is not enough to be industrious . . . What are you industrious about?"

Henry David Thoreau

I've noticed that oftentimes, when someone asks: "What have you been up to, lately?"  they are looking for a specific answer.  Generally, that answer is: "Well, I've been really busy."  Then you can almost hear the sigh of relief in the questioner. I wonder why busyness in our culture is so valued?  Thoreau reminds us that mere activity as an end in itself is not a thing to be sought after.  Rather, we are meant to focus our industrious energy on those things that bring the most meaning to life.  Meaning always involves being connected to something Bigger which works in and through us.  Amazingly, we are meant to be a vessel through which the Earth knows and celebrates her own beauty and goodness.  Are we up to the task?

Photo: Beaver logs on a dried-up pond; Vedauwoo Recreation Area; Medicine Bow National Fores, WY; March 8, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment