Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, March 1, 2013

When we hear good music, the field of our lives becomes a boundless plain!


"What is there in music that it should so stir our deeps?  We are all ordinarily in a state of desperation; such is our life; ofttimes it drives us to suicide.  To how many, perhaps to most, life is barely tolerable, and if it were not for the fear of death or of dying, what a multitude would immediately commit suicide!  But let us hear a strain of music; we are at once advised of a life which no person had told us of, which no preacher preaches.  Suppose I try to describe faithfully the prospect which a strain of music exhibits to me.  THE FIELD OF MY LIFE BECOMES A BOUNDLESS PLAIN, glorious to tread, with no death nor disappointment at the end of it.  All meanness and trivialness disappear.  I become adequate to any deed.  No particulars survive this expansion; persons do not survive it. In the light of this strain there is no thou nor I.  We are actually lifted above ourselves."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo:  A blustery day on Bierstadt Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; February 22, 2013





No comments:

Post a Comment