Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

In solitude, we realize that our deepest "I" is actually an Other - the Divine Beloved.


When we are with other people, we seem engaged in a truly relational way of being. However, the different agendas that we and others carry often conflict with one another, and the resulting angst we feel can wear us out. On the other hand, in solitude, we begin to realize that the deepest relationship occurs right WITHIN us. When we are alone, we generally think that "me, myself and I" are the only reality present, and this mistaken perception makes us tire of being alone with ourselves. It is for this reason that we so often avoid solitude.

However, in a moment of epiphany, we may instead find ourselves awakening to the reality that our deepest "I" actually does not belong to us. In reality, God - the Divine Beloved, the Beyond Within, the Ultimate Mystery - IS our sense of "I." In other words, the "me" that consists in our thoughts, feelings, insights and creative actions is actually a different person than the One - the "I" - who is AWARE of all of these things. Indeed, our awareness - our listening, witnessing, and seeing; that is, our "I" - is itself a participation in a beloved OTHER. Fortunately, this Other is absolutely thrilled and enamored with our truest "me." Thus, real solitude reveals the deepest, most fulfilling relationship imaginable.

It is THIS primal affair that gives us the strength, courage and insight to deal compassionately with all of our other important relationships.

Photo: Snowlilies, Lake Solitude, and the back side of the Tetons; Grand Teton National Park, WY; July 6, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment