Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The deeper the solitude the less the sense of loneliness, and the nearer our friends.



"Divine beauty all.  Here I could stay - tethered forever with just bread and water, nor would I be lonely; loved friends and neighbors, as love for everything increased, would seem all the nearer however many the miles and mountains between us . . . The deeper the solitude the less the sense of loneliness, and the nearer our friends."

The Contemplative John Muir

When we saturate ourselves in periods of silence and solitude, we come into contact with the spiritual essence of all things.  During these times, we see our friends and loved ones as they really are - as pure, lovable and full of goodness.  In solitude, we perceive the core essence of all beings - including those whom we know and love - as facets of the One Divine Beloved.

Photo: Alpine Bog Laurel at Lake Solitude; Grand Teton National Park, WY; July 6, 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment