Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

All things are made for happiness.


"The stones are happy.  Concord River is happy, and I am happy too.  When I took up a fragment of a walnut-shell this morning, I saw by its very grain and composition, the form and color, etc.,. that it was made for happiness.  The most brutish and inanimate objects that are made suggest an everlasting and thorough satisfaction; they are the homes of content.  Wood, earth, mould, etc., exist for joy.  Do you think that Concord River would have continued to flow these millions of years by Clamshell Hill and round Hunt's Island, if it had not been happy, - if it had been miserable in its channel, tired of existence, and cursing its maker and the hour that it sprang?"

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: The Poudre River and Bellvue Dome after our first major snow; Bellvue, CO; December 19, 2012










No comments:

Post a Comment