Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

In spite of all contradictions, there is a center and a strength to which I always can have access if I really desire.


"What a fool I have been: thoughtless, impulsive, lazy, self-interested, yet alien to myself, untrue to myself, following the most stupid fantasies, guided by the most idiotic emotions and needs.  Yes, I know, it is partly unavoidable.  But I know, too, that, in spite of all contradictions, there is a center and a strength to which I ALWAYS can have access if I really desire . . . . The best thing I can give to others is to liberate myself from the common delusions and be, for myself and for others, free.  Then grace can work in and through me for everyone."

Thomas Merton, 1968

Photo: Sunrise from my campsite, Canyonlands National Park, UT; November 26, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment