Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

When the military plane swoops low, go gather a basket of pinecones.


"Gentle whistles of a bluebird and, in the mist, a SAC [Strategic Air Command] plane swoops huge and low over the ridges where the final hermitages are to be.  I wonder if it carries bombs.  Most probably. They all do, I am told.  The technological society!  I will go out and split some logs and gather a basket of pinecones."

Thomas Merton, 1964

Photo: A Limber Pine cone rests in a nook on an ancient tree; Lake Haiyaha, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; November 17, 2012





No comments:

Post a Comment