Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Could it be that this earthly realm, not in spite of but BECAUSE OF its very density and jagged edges, offers precisely the conditions for the expression of certain aspects of divine love that could become real in no other way?


"There is a beautiful saying from Islamic tradition: 'I was a hidden treasure, and I loved to be known, and so I created the worlds both visible and invisible' . . . Could it be that this earthly realm, not in spite of but BECAUSE OF its very density and jagged edges, offers precisely the conditions for the expression of certain aspects of divine love that could become real in no other way? . . . We can see that those sharp edges we experience as constriction at the same time call forth some of the most exquisite dimensions of love, which require the condition of finitude in order to make sense - qualities such as steadfastness, tenderness, commitment, forbearance, fidelity and forgiveness.  These mature and subtle flavors of love have no real context in a realm where there are no edges and boundaries, where all just flows.  But when you run up against the hard edge and have to stand true to love anyway, what emerges is a most precious taste of pure divine love . . . Let me be clear here.  I am not saying that suffering exists in order for God to reveal himself.  I am only saying that WHERE suffering exists and is consciously accepted, THERE divine love shines forth brightly."

Cynthia Bourgeault

Photo: The edge of the Fern Lake Burn, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; December 14, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment