Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, December 3, 2012

These images are not done by humans. They are done by beings with spiritual powers.


"My grandfather told us that these images are not done by humans.  They are not done by Indians,  They are done by beings with spiritual powers and they tell us stories of all kinds - stories of their travels, their beliefs. But (he cautioned): don't let anyone tell you they are done by humans because they are not.  They are done by somebody greater than a human."

Mae Perry,
Shoshoni Tribe

Photo: An alien-like pictograph painted in red hematite by the Archaic Barrier-Canyon people, as early as 6000 B.C.E; Moab, UT; November 26, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment