Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

I have not been nearly as wild as I need to be.


"The root of my problem remains fear of my own solitude - imagined solitude - the fear of rejection, as if that mattered! . . . Apparent wildness is the providential and divine criticism that is demanded of us, and I have not been nearly as wild as I need to be . . . How crazy it is to be 'yourself' by trying to live up to an image of yourself you have unconsciously created in the minds of others.  Better to destroy the image if necessary.  But even this is not serious, or to be taken seriously."

Thomas Merton

Photo: Fern Lake Burn, above Cub Lake; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; December 21, 2012













No comments:

Post a Comment