Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

America is a land of joy - more than any other land.


"I am getting very tired of . . . being called 'dead' because I do not include 'social' material and subjects of 'class-significance' [in my work] . . . It is childish to continue to dwell on the negative aspects of society, at least to concentrate on them . . . I am not afraid of beauty, of poetry, of sentiment.  I think it is just as important to bring to people evidence of the beauty of the world of nature and of man as it is to give them a 'document' of ugliness, squalor, and despair . . . For every grim image of Harlem, there should be some buoyant truthful image of a hopeful society and some image of the natural scene . . . Is there no way photography can be used to suggest a better life - not just to stress the unfortunate aspects of existence? . . . There must be . . . America is a land of joy - more than any other land.  With all the misery, all the economic troubles, and the crack-pot politicians, we are still . . . the most beautiful country in the world . . . I am a congenital optimist; I feel we are coming out of this mess earlier than most people think; and that the world will be a better place for it."

Ansel Adams

Photo: Pasqueflowers with Long's Peak and Mt. Meeker in the background, Lory State Park, CO, April 10, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment