Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Where there is no joy there can be no courage, and without courage all other virtues are useless. Therefore, the frogs, the toads, keep on singing.


"Why do frogs and toads sing?  What do they have to sing about? . . . It may be the case that these small beings are singing not only to claim their stake in the pond, not only to attract a mate, but also out of spontaneous love and joy . . . Has joy any survival value in the operations of evolution?  I suspect it does; I suspect that the morose and fearful are doomed to quick extinction.  Where there is no joy there can be no courage, and without courage all other virtues are useless.  Therefore the frogs, the toads, keep on singing
. . . "

Edward Abbey

Photo: Western Toad, Red Mountain Open Space, Larimer County, CO, April 29, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment