Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rock is transparent as the sky, and glows like a thought with immortal life.


"I spring to my feet, crying: 'Heavens and earth!  Rock is not light, not heavy, but is transparent and unfathomable as the sky itself.  Every pore gushes, glows like a thought with immortal life, . . . the whole rocky picture seemingly translucent as if lighted from within by its own internal light!' "

The Contemplative John Muir, pp. 77-78. 

Photo: Sunlight shines through a screen of rain, with White Loco growing on the hillside in the foreground, Reservoir Ridge Natural Area, CO, April 23, 2012.  For a look at my book: "The Contemplative John Muir," go  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment