Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

There is a real social significance in a photograph of a rock.


"Because your greatest work is of nature and deals with the eternal, you are accused of being 'Inhuman,' 'not interested in humanity,' 'oblivious to the GREAT issues of Today.'  They don't realize that what takes their breath away when they look at your work is your profound expression of HUMAN emotion.  That you touch the innermost spirit as few artists in any medium ever have."

Nancy Newhall, to Ansel Adams

"I still believe there is a real social significance in a rock - just as there is in a line of unemployed.  For that opinion I am charged with inhumanity, unawareness."

Ansel Adams, to Edward Weston

"I agree with you that there is just as much 'social significance in a rock' as in 'a line of unemployed.'  All depends on the seeing . . . If I have in some way awakened others to a broader conception of life - added significance and beauty to their lives - . . . then I have functioned, and am satisfied."

Edward Weston, to Ansel Adams

Photo: Wild plum blossoms against a backdrop of red rock, Lory State Park, CO, April 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment