Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

We perceive in water, leaves and silence more than sufficient of the absolute and marvelous.


"The only sound is the whisper of the running water, the touch of my bare feet on the sand, and once or twice, out of the stillness, the clear song of the canyon wren . . . If a man's imagination were not so weak, so easily tired, if his capacity for wonder not so limited, he would abandon forever his fantasies of the supernal.  He would learn to perceive in water, leaves and silence more than sufficient of the absolute and marvelous, more than enough to console him . . ."

Edward Abbey

Photo: Joanne hiking within reflections of the red cliffs in Professor Creek, Castle Valley, UT, April 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment