Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, April 23, 2012

The desert paintbrush is the queen of slickrotica.


"The desert paintbrush is the queen of slickrotica.  You can tell by its fiery scarlet and early bloom, as if it wants these curvaceous sweeps of sandstone to itself . . . Red is common among early bloomers, as if nature wished to jump-start spring, to skip the formalities and lunge into an unfeigned passion that dissolves reason or reluctance."

Ellen Meloy

Photo: Desert paintbrush glows in last light, Arches National Park, UT, April 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment