Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The world is still a compassionate place.


I guess I must look pretty silly lying on the ground in these burn areas, my jeans caked with black ash,  head just above the charcoal surface.  Almost every foothills trail in our area has been affected by forest fires this past year, so burns are a frequent subject of my photography.  In the process of taking pictures, I've also learned a lot about the compassion of people toward strangers. When they see me lying there on the ground, my body contorted into strange positions,  hikers often come up and ask if I'm hurt.  After all, how many people would willingly choose to lie down in ash?

Photo: A Pasqueflower emerges from last year's ashes, with Greyrock in the background; Hewlett Burn, Roosevelt National Forest, CO; April 6, 2013







No comments:

Post a Comment