Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, December 19, 2014

To conceive of any natural object with a total apprehension, I must for the thousandth time approach it as something totally strange . . .



"To conceive of any natural object with a total apprehension, I must for the thousandth time approach it as something totally strange . . .




"You must be aware that NO THING is what you have taken it to be . . .




"What infinite leisure it requires - as of a lifetime, to appreciate a single phenomenon! You must camp down beside it as for life - having reached your land of promise - and give yourself wholly to it."

Henry David Thoreau



As you may have guessed by now, I cannot get enough of this leaf glowing in a Canyonlands slot canyon. During my retreat, I spent about forty-five minutes photographing it in every possible light-angle, utterly fascinated by the gradation of color and shape that revealed itself to my lens. For me, this is a lesson that can readily be transferred to the seemingly mundane events of daily life :)

Photo: Red-osier Dogwood leaf glowing in The Joint, Needles District, Canyonlands National Park, UT, November 28, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment