Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The farther off the mountain, the more of heaven's tint it wears.


" 'Tis distance [that] lends enchantment to the view . . . Heaven intervenes between me and the object . . . I experience the pleasure of coming into a landscape where there is more distance and a bluish tinge in the horizon.  I am not contented long with narrow valleys where all is greenness in them.  I wish to see the earth translated, the green passing into blue.  How this heaven intervenes and tinges our more distant prospects!  The farther off the mountain which is the goal of our enterprise, the more of heaven's tint it wears.  This is the chief value of distance in landscapes."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Parkview Mountain, viewed from Montgomery Pass, Rawah Range, CO, March 16, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment