Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Creator is like a spider, weaving all creatures into a single, sacred web.


In many of the indigenous traditions of the American Southwest, the Creator is envisioned as a Spider. She is always a feminine presence. Sometimes she's called "Grandmother Spider" or "Spider Woman" or "Thought Woman."  In any case, she thinks the world - and all of its creatures - into existence, and in so doing, weaves them all together within her vast and sacred web.  Thus, there is no such thing as an individual being living all by itself.  For ALL of us are part of a vast divine web, and our true self is always a  MULTI-centered self.

Photo: Spider on Indian Blanketflower (Gaillardia), Lory State Park, CO, May 21, 2012.  On my hikes, I find quite a few of these red-and-yellow blanketflowers containing a resident spider - also red-and-yellow.  Apparently, camouflage serves the spider well!

No comments:

Post a Comment