Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

That's how you pray to God - you LISTEN.


"You can call Wakan-Tanka by any name you like.  In English I call Him God or the Great Spirit.  He's the Great Mystery, the Great Mysterious.  That's what Wakan-Tanka really means - the Great Mysterious.  You can't define Him.  He's not actually a 'He' or a 'She,' a 'Him' or a 'Her.'  We have to use those kinds of words because you can't just say 'It.'  God's never an 'It.'  So call Wakan-Tanka whatever you like.  Just be sure to call Him.  He wants to talk to you . . . When I go up on the hill to pray I don't just talk to God.  I try to get the talking over quick.  Mostly I'm listening.  Listening to God - that's praying, too . . . So that's how you pray to God.  You LISTEN."

Noble Red Man (Mathew King), Lakota elder

Photo: Bear Lodge, Devil's Tower National Monument, WY, May 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment