Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Sense of Belonging


Yesterday I had a difficult day.  I found myself saddened by thoughts about  potential loss of work, disappointments with people, upset at my own shortcomings, wondering where my place in society really is. However, as I descended the trail on my daily afternoon hike in the foothills near my home, I suddenly came upon a bird - just three feet away from me - sitting on the trail.  It was a male Lesser Goldfinch. At first, I thought the bird was a baby that had fallen out of the nest, unable to fly.  However, as I stood there, the bird hopped around a bit, peering at me curiously now and then, preening a few times, then nibbling on a flower, obviously quite relaxed.  Immediately these words struck me: "I KNOW you."  It was as if the Divine Presence residing within the bird and within the surrounding landscape was letting me know that I indeed DO have a place in the world.  Then, after a few minutes, the goldfinch finally flew off, leaving me with a profound sense of belonging that stuck with me for the rest of the day.

Photo: Lesser Goldfinch, Lory State Park, CO, May 30, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment