Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Friday, May 11, 2012

A "superior" race is one that does the least harm to the Earth.


"My notion of a superior race, if such a thing were plausible, would be harmlessness: which group has done the least harm to the earth, to other forms of life, to other humans, to each other?  By that standard, the only superior races would be the Aborigines of Australia, the Bushmen of Africa, maybe the Hopis of Arizona. (But even there, the reason may lie simply in their lack of power and technology.)"

Edward Abbey

Photo: A recently-drilled natural gas rig sits just outside Canyonlands National Park, UT, April 22, 2012.  The La Sal Mountains loom in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment