Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Happiness seeks us when we become still.


"Happiness is much like a butterfly - the more you chase after it, the more elusive it becomes. But should you cease your frantic activities and sit down in the middle of the meadow, the beauty all around you will become apparent and, by and by, the vibrations of the meadow will become your vibrations. When you have become as one with the serenity of the meadow, the butterfly will no longer see you as a threat but as a part of the beauty all around it. Thus, the butterfly will seek out your company and alight upon your head. May we become the vessel which happiness seeks."
Nelson Augustine, Elder, Migmag Nation 
Photo: Boisduval's Blue butterflies sucking water from a recently dried up streambed; Lory State Park, CO, May 22, 2012.  I took this photo yesterday evening; Nelson made his Facebook posting this morning.  What he describes is precisely what happened to me.  After causing the butterflies to scatter when I approached, I settled down in the grass next to this dry streambed, and the butterflies all returned, allowing me to come very close without being viewed as a threat.
If you are interested in imbibing daily bits of wisdom - skillfully combining attitudes of protest with spiritual acceptance, earthy details with philosophy, and tribal pride with openness to others, please look up Nelson on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment