Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Drugged, sense and mind, by desert thoughts, canyon thoughts.


"Oh, the red cruel deathly loveliness of the desert . . . The mute and timeless and implacable and sinister and incredible and heart-troubling mind-stunning canyons of the rich Colorado . . . , silences with glory, soaked in awe . . . A harsh cruel land, stark, naked beauty; terrible and deathly, untamed and untamable, lovelier than any song; a man's country.

"Drugged.  I'm drugged, sense and mind, by desert thoughts, canyon thoughts.  I've been thinking of the Colorado Plateau . . . Thinking of those great canyons, and of the terrible and grand and unearthly wilderness of rock that surrounds them, my nerves and brain get taut and sharp and hot . . . I've got to go there, be there, live there: it's become an obsession with me, a passion!

Edward Abbey

Photo: Maidenhair fern and red-streaked, thousand-foot-high cliffs of Navajo sandstone, Zion Canyon, Zion National Park, UT; May 27, 2012. 

The Virgin River of Zion Canyon is considered a part of the basin of the Colorado River and of the Colorado Plateau.


No comments:

Post a Comment