Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In the solitude and stillness of Nature, I receive the equivalent of what others get by churchgoing and prayer.


"There is nothing so sanative, so poetic, as a walk in the woods and fields . . . Nothing so inspires me and excites such serene and profitable thought.  The objects are elevating.  In the street and in society I am almost invariably cheap and dissipated, my life unspeakably mean [mundane].  No amount of gold or respectability would in the least redeem it . . . But alone in distant woods or fields, . . . I come to myself.  I once more feel myself grandly related, and that cold and solitude are friends of mine.  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing and prayer.  I come to my solitary walk as the homesick go home.  I thus dispose of the superfluous and see things as they are, grand and beautiful . . . I come out to these solitudes, where the problem of existence is simplified.  I get away a mile or two from the town into the stillness and solitude of nature, with rocks, trees, plants, snow, . . . and it is as if I had come to an open window . . . I am not satisfied with ordinary windows.  I must have a true skylight.  My true skylight is on the outside of the village . . . This stillness, solitude, wildness of nature . . . This is what I go out to seek.  It is as if I always met in those places some grand, serene, immortal, infinitely encouraging, though invisible, companion, and walked with him."

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Marsh-marigold meadow, Flat Tops Wilderness, CO; June 9, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment