Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It is a vulnerable enterprise to feel deeply about a landscape.


"I think of my own stream of desires, how cautious I have become with love.  It is a vulnerable enterprise to feel deeply and I may not survive my affections.  Andre Breton says, 'Hardly anyone dares to face with open eyes the great delights of love.'  If I choose not to become attached to nouns - a person, place, or thing - then when I refuse an intimate's love or hoard my spirit, when a known landscape is . . . [reduced] to a stubble . . . , my heart cannot be broken because I never risked giving it away . . . The land is love.  Love is what we fear . .. It is time for us to take off ours masks . . . and admit we are lovers, engaged in an erotics of place.  Loving the land . . . It is a primal affair."

Terry Tempest Williams

Photo: Prairie Coneflower (Mexican Hat) with Horsetooth Reservoir in the middleground, and the High Park Fire in the background close to sunset; June 11, 2012.  Near Ft. Collins, CO. The fire is now at 43, 000 acres.

No comments:

Post a Comment